Looking for an easy key lime pie recipe? You’re in the right place. This key lime pie is so creamy and delicious, it is sure to impress at any occasion. I’ve also included a no-bake option that requires minimal effort and no oven. Now, let’s get right to it!
3 Ingredients Pie Filling
The pie filling is so refreshing and creamy. With the perfect balance between tart and sweet.. What’s more, only 3 ingedients is required.
Condensed milk, Double cream and Lime juice.
So easy, no eggs needed. Simply whip the double cream to soft peaks, fold in the condensed milk and squeeze in two tablespoons of lime juice and lime zest (if using). Mix to combine, then pour the mixture into the crust and leave to set in the fridge.
No Bake Key Lime Pie
To make a no bake pie crust, you’ll need
- 200 grams of Digestive biscuits (15 biscuits)
- 6 tbsp Melted Butter
Place the biscuits in a ziplock bag and crush roughly with a wooden spoon. You can also pulse in a food processor to save some time. Mix in a bowl with the melted butter, then transfer into a tin, spreading evenly on the base and sides. Press firmly with a spoon and place in the fridge to set.
Key Lime Pie Crust – 2 ways
My all time favourite crust has to be the almond crust.
Same crust i used in my Mango Tart Recipe. It is absolutely delicious and turns out great every time. I prefer a mix of ground almonds and plain flour because it adds more texture and a slight nutty flavour to the crust. If you have nut allergies, substitute the half a cup of Ground almonds with ¼ cup All purpose flour.
Or, go for a more traditional crust.
For this, you’ll need:
- 180g Plain Flour
- 90g Cold Butter
- Pinch of Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Sugar (Optional)
- 2 tbsp of cold water
Mix the flour, salt, sugar and butter together until it forms fine crumbs. Add water to form a dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. Take out the dough and roll on a lightly floured surface. Line the tin with the dough and blind bake at 200°C for15 minutes.
Blind Baking is the process of pre-baking a tart/pie crust before the filling is added in. You can make the tart crust 2-3 days in advance to save some time. See notes.
Looking for more summer desserts? Why not try our Cherry Almond Galette or Mango Tart Recipes. We know you’ll love them.
Easy Key Lime Pie
For the Crust
- 140 grams Butter
- ¼ cup Icing Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1¼ cup Plain Flour
- ½ cup Almond Flour or Ground Almond
For the Pie flling
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 397 grams Sweetened Condensed milk (1 can)
- 300 ml Double Cream
- Lime zest
- Lime slices to decorate
To make the Almond Crust
- In a bowl, combine the Plain Flour, Almond Flour and Salt. Whisking to combine thoroughly.
- Using a stand mixer with the Flat beater attachment, mix the butter and sugar.
- Add in the Egg and once combined, pour in the flour mixture.
- When it's all mixed together nicely, form into a ball and wrap in cling film. Let the dough rest for 30minutes in the fridge.
- Roll the dough out and transfer into a tart pan with removable bottom.
- Blind bake (See notes below on blind baking crusts) the crust in a 400°F 200°C Pre-heated Oven
To make the Pie filling
- Whip the double cream to soft peaks.
- Fold in the condensed milk. Slowly, then add the lime juice and zest. Mixing to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into the pie shell. Decorate with lime slices and leave to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Line the inside of the pie crust with parchment paper or aluminium foil, making sure to cover the sides and bottom.
- Fill the pie with baking beans/pie weights to distribute the heat evenly.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake at 200°C for 15 minutes.
- Once the edges start to brown, take out the crust from the oven and remove the parchment paper and pie weights.
- Return to the oven for another 5 minutes or until the bottom portion of the crust bakes.
- Remove from the oven and add your pie filling.