Pistachio and I, fell in love in Sicily, Italy. It really was love at first taste. I was blown away by what Pistachio was capable of.
Just kidding. But I do love pistachios and got to try out traditional Sicilian food using Bronte pistachios when we visited Sicily, Italy. Yumm! Please take me back to Sicily! Pistachio is great in sauces and desserts, delicious in pasta and just perfect as a spread on toast or crackers. I’ve used this vegan pistachio butter in homemade Ice creams, and as a spread in my vegan pistachio babka recipe. It really doesn’t disappoint.
Ingredients for Pistachio Butter
To make this delicious vegan pistachio butter, you’ll need:
- Pistachio – Shelled and blanched with skin peeled.
- Canola oil – or vegan butter (I use unsalted flora plant butter).
- Salt – Pinch of salt (adjust to taste).
- Sugar (Optional) – For a sweet pistachio spread, add 1 tbsp of cane sugar.
- Vegan Double cream (Optional) – for a creamier pistachio spread, add a tbsp of Elmea plant double cream.
The Process – Blanch the Pistachios first
How to blanch pistachios
Blanching is a technique used to remove skin from fruits, nuts and vegetables before cooking or processing.
We are going to blanch the raw pistachios first before blending. To blanch, pour the pistachios into a bowl and fill with boiling hot water. Leave to sit for 2 minutes before draining out the water. Transfer on a kitchen paper to absorb any excess moisture. Then peel with your fingers to remove the skin.
Blend the Pistachios
To make the pistachio butter, you can use raw, or roasted pistachio. Roasted Pistachios will have a more intense flavour. However, I like to use raw pistachio because you get that vibrant green pistachio butter colour below after blanching the pistachio to peel off the skin.
After peeling off the skin, transfer the pistachios into a food processor. Add the canola oil or butter, salt and sugar(if using). Blend until smooth.
Tips for a successful outcome
- Keep blending the pistachios in the processor until it reaches the desired consistency.
- The longer you blend at high speed, the more nut oils that will be released. If the pistachio butter is too thick, add some canola oil or vegan butter to loosen it up.
- For a creamy pistachio spread, add a tbsp of Vegan Double Cream halfway through blending the nuts. Stores well in the fridge for a week.
Love our recipes? Why not try our Easy Pasta Salad – Italian-Style or our delicious Cherry Almond Galette
- 1½ cup Raw Pistachios (shelled)
- A pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil or Vegan butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp Vegan Double Cream (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar (Optional)
- Blanch the pistachios in boiling hot water and peel with your fingers to remove the skin.
- Transfer the pistachios into a food processor. Add the canola oil or butter, salt and sugar (if using), blend until smooth.
- For a smooth and creamy pistachio spread, add a tablespoon of plant double cream and blend again until well combined.
- Transfer into a jar and store in the fridge.