Oatmeal is one of those ingredients readily available in everyones pantry. Super affordable, healthy and very versatile. Carrot cake baked oats is a really fun and delicious way to make use of, and enjoy your oats. If you love carrot cake, and are looking for an healthier version, this recipe is for you. It’s also gluten-free and can be made vegan with substitutions i’ll be listing below.
Perfect as a dessert, breakfast or as a tea time snack, this carrot cake baked oats is sure to satisfy those carrot cake cravings. Delicious just as it is, or even better frosted with sweetened cream cheese or homemade whipped cream. They are perfect for lunchboxes. Simply pour the batter into Muffin baking tray. I’ve also baked into 2 small round springform cake tins with a cream cheese filling for celebrations.
What you’ll need to bake these carrot cake goodness!
Carrot Oatcake ingredients and vegan-friendly substitutions:
- Oatmeal – Freshly ground rolled oats – i used a food processor to blend the oats. Coarse or finely ground oats works well.
- Brown Sugar – Substitute with white sugar or honey. Sugar can be omitted altogether if using sweetened applesauce or ripe bananas as a substitute for the yoghurt below.
- Greek Yoghurt – Adds moisture to the baked oats. To make this vegan, substitute with applesauce or mashed ripe bananas.
- Eggs – For eggs-free or vegan baking, use flax egg or leave out altogether.
- Coconut oil – Melted butter or sunflower oil also works well.
- Coconut milk – Use almond milk, cow milk or any other plant milk you have available.
- Carrots – Clean and peel the carrots before shredding.
- Raisins – I use candied Mixed Peel instead of raisins for a nice citrusy flavour.
- Orange zest – Fresly grated orange zest or any citrus fruit zest available.
- Walnuts – You can also use Pecans or any nuts you like.
- Salt to taste
- Spices – Cinnamon and nutmeg
- Leavening agents – I use both Baking powder and Baking soda
How to make these Carrot Cake Baked Oats
Combine all the dry ingredients by whisking together and set aside.
It’s important to make sure all the ingredients used are at room temparature. Pour in all the wet ingredients into a separate bowl and stir to combine. Add in the shredded carrots and slowly mix in the ground oatmeal.
Now, add the nuts, citrus zest, raisins and candied mixed peel (if using).
Stir to combine, then leave the batter to rest for 20 minutes – it’s very important that the oatmeal is left to rest, so it can absorb all the moisture. Stir again before transferring into an oven dish to bake.
Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes and leave to cool completely before frosting.
Also let me know in the comments section how this turned out!
Carrot Cake Baked Oats
Carrot Cake Baked Oats
- 2 Cups Ground Oats
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar / Substitute with ¼ cup of honey
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots (Clean and peel before shredding)
- ⅔ Cup Greek Yoghurt or Applesauce/ Mashed bananas
- 1 tbsp Citrus Zest
- ⅓ Cup Coconut / Almond milk (use only ¼ cup if you're using honey as sweetener)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
- ⅓ Cup Mxed Citrus peel or Raisins
- ⅓ Cup Chopped Walnuts / Pecans
For Cream Cheese frosting
- 1 Cup Creamcheese (I use Philadelphia Original) or Use Violife vegan cream cheese
- ¼ Cup Powdered sugar (Adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or Citrus Zest
For the Carrot Baked Oats
- Combine all the dry ingredients by whisking together and set aside.
- Pour in all the wet ingredients into a separate bowl and stir to combine. Add in the shredded carrots and slowly mix in the ground oatmeal.
- Now, add the nuts, citrus zest, raisins and candied mixed peel (if using).
- Stir to combine, then leave the batter to rest for 20 minutes – it's very important that the oatmeal is left to rest, so it can absorb all the moisture.
- Stir again before transferring into an oven dish to bake.
- Bake at 180°C / Gas Mark for 35-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the centre, if it comes out clean, then it's ready.
For the Frosting
- Leave the baked oats to cool completely before frosting.
- Whisk together the cream cheese and powdered sugar, add the citrus zest/ vanilla extract.
- Stir to combine.