There are a lot of Gluten-free waffle recipes available on the internet. Many using gluten-free plain flour, almond flour or buckwheat flour. I prefer to use Oat Flour in this gluten-free waffles recipe. Simply because oats are affordable and easy to find. More so, you can make your own oat flour in less than a minute.
How to make Oat Flour
- Measure out the portion of Rolled oats.
- Add the Rolled Oats to a food processor.
- Blend until the oats have blended into a fine powdery consistency.
- Store in an air tight container.
Tips for a successful outcome:
- Leaving the batter to rest for at least 15 minutes will allow the oats absorb some of the moisture. That way, you’ll achieve a nice, even consistency for best results.
- Generally, oat batter takes slightly longer time to cook. Have your waffle maker on medium heat, close the lid firmly, allowing the waffle to cook without opening constantly.
- Please note that the waffles will be soft when it’s still hot. Take it out and place on a cooling rack. They’ll firm up once cooled.
Oat Flour is naturally gluten free, but can be contaminated during the manufacturing and packaging process. it is therefore important to get Oat flour that is certified gluten free. If you don’t have Oat flour, you can also use plain gluten-free flour, almond or buckwheat flour.
This recipe for gluten-free waffles uses Coconut milk. Mainly because I was going for an intense coconut flavour. Substitue with Almond milk, Oat milk, Soy milk or Cow milk.
I melted virgin coconut oil before adding to the batter. You can replace coconut oil with Sunflower or Avocado oil.
Honey was added in for some sweetness. This can be substituted with maple syrup or a tbsp of coconut sugar.
Cinammon – If you’re not keen on cinammon for flavour, you can replace with a tsp of vanilla extract.
Honey – Also optional for added sweetness, feel free to leave out the honey or replace with one of the substitutions above.
Gluten-Free Waffles – using Oat Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1½ Cup Oat Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinammon (optional)
- 2 tbsp Honey for sweetness (optional)
- ¼ cup Coconut oil
- 1 cup Plant based milk of choice or cow milk
- Add the Oat Flour, cinammon, salt and baking powder to a bowl, stir to combine thoroughly
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs in another bowl, add in the milk, oil, and honey. Whisking together until fully combined
- Combine the wet and dry ingredient, mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Leave the batter to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat waffle maker on medium heat. Spray/brush a little oil on the waffle plates.
- Pour in the batter, spreading evenly. Let it cook for about 5 minutes, or until the waffles are golden and crisp.
If you like this recipe, then you’ll love our delicious Vegan Pancake Recipe.